Saturday, February 20, 2016

Hosting a Spanish Exchange Student

Dear Darlings,

     In one month Louise and I will be headed to SPAIN!! Amidst the excitement of planning and packing, I've been reflecting on my experiences of last spring break, when mi hermana and her fellow exchange students came to stay with us for two weeks of American adventure. As we'll all be reuniting so soon, what better story to tell than that of when we first met?

   

     I'll admit, when los espanolitos first arrived, it was all a bit awkward. We had each had choppy, grammatically incorrect conversations with each other in spanish over text, but trying to communicate in person was a way bigger challenge, especially with our Spanish brothers and sisters jittery and tired. But everything went well, and the start of two of the best weeks of my life had begun...








 My exchange student, Marta, was definitely not afraid of my furry (or scaly!) friends.














My favorite memories include cheering and waving around foam fingers at a basketball game, roaming the streets of NYC in the freezing cold, enjoying the sun when it finally came out on our trip to DC, sipping milkshakes in a steak shop while Javi tried to learn the Pledge of Allegiance, sleepy car and bus rides, and laughing our way through the language barrier.


 Time flew by and suddenly we were all standing in the airport, not wanting to say goodbye. The only comfort was that we would be seeing each other again, one year later, when Louise and I will visit the exchange students in Spain, ready to complete the second half of this once-in-a-lifetime adventure. 

 
Adios Cariños!!! 

xoxo, 
Elizabeth 








No comments:

Post a Comment